Well I am pleased to say that I have seen completion on my metal lathe stand project. The bulk of the work had already been done and all that was left were the finishing touches. I am actually not too sure what I can say about it all.

 The fabrication was complete except for the light mount. I had an extra flexible light holder left over from a grinder so I thought I would weld up a mount for it and attach it to the lathe stand back splash. I cut a hole through the back splash to allow the cord to exit on the rear of the stand. The 2 lower trays were lined with some expanded metal I had leftover from the BBQ project.

 I still needed to close the sides in. In the past I would use G1S plywood however I am growing tired of using the stuff in the workshop. I opted to go with more of a “metal shop” look and picked up a section of aluminum checker plate. This stuff is awesome! Easy to work with and looks great…I think. It has me thinking that I may need to recover the milling machine stand and the work benches with the checker plate. I am envisioning a new garage theme however it will need to wait till the 100 other projects I have lined up are completed. The checker plate was plasma cut to size and riveted into place.

 The stand then received 2 coats of Tremclad gloss black paint. Once dry the stainless steel got a polish and the toolbox was slid into place. The stand then got moved into place and levelled. All that was left was to transfer the lathe to its new home.

 In the end I am pleased with the results. The project somewhat cut into time that I set aside for other things. The only reason it actually got completed was because I stumbled upon the tool box deal. Anyway…I am looking forward to working with the lathe set a few inches higher, my back will thank me. The majority of this post is mostly pictures of the completed project so enjoy the visuals. Time now for me to regroup and get set for the next job, hopefully I will fill you in next week with the details. BTW the title picture of this post is a shot of the thread pitch guide on my Craftex B2227L lathe, for those of you who aren’t familiar with it the guide tells you how to re-gear the lathe to cut certain thread pitches.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. pablo says:

    Very good work, very colorful, one suggestion: the aluminium oxidises on its surface and its oxide is called aluminia, this oxide protects the piece of degradation, the aluminia opaque to the piece, to avoid this would be advisable to paint the piece with lacquer, I’m from Argentina the translation makes it the PC can not understanding much grammar hope to you if the understand, greetings.

    • gordsgarage says:

      Hola Pablo, gracias por visitar mi sitio. Agradezco sus comentarios y sugerencias. Es posible que necesite para cubrir el aluminio con algo todavía. Voy a controlar y ver si se degrada. Quiero utilizar más checkerplate para otros proyectos por lo que si tiene que ser revestido me va a querer asegurarse de que lo hago. Espero que esta traducción para usted.

      Gord

  2. sandback3d says:

    Gord, Love your site and your work. Outstanding. What brought me here is a search on the B2227L. Great little lathe, but I’m in the midst of rebuilding the gearbox. Got any tips and procedures that you can share? Its looking like I have to replace the seals and while its apart, I may as well replace the bearings too. Dismantling seems to be a process and may have to be done in sequence… Just wondering if you have done this before and have any words of wisdom.

    Great projects by the way.
    Cheers

    • gordsgarage says:

      Hi Sid, thanks for finding the site. The B2227L is a great little home lathe. Although I feel limited at time with its capabilities I am still fairly impressed with what I can make it do.
      I have, in fact, partially disassembled the gearbox. A couple of months after I first bought the lathe the gearbox started to get very loud to the point that it was obvious something was wrong. I went to claim my warranty from BusyBee and was told I could bring the machine into them and they will ship it across country and get it looked at. FORGET THAT! Went home and stripped the input shaft out of it only to find that both input shaft bearings where shot. It was fairly obvious why they had failed as the lubrication circuit is rather poor plus they bearings are probably the lowest of quality. A trip out to a local bearing supply store got me set up with 2 quality sealed bearings. Having them sealed meant I wasn’t going to have to rely on the gearbox oil circuit to ensure my bearings stayed lubricated. Anyway…I reinstalled the input shaft with the new bearings and have not had an issue since. That has been around 5 years now.
      More in response to your question. Yes I have had the input shaft out. No I have no good advice to give. I cannot remember the specifics of the disassembly. What I do remember is that it was not difficult at all and I would not hesitate to strip the entire box down if need be. A clean workspace, the parts blow up, and an open section to lay parts down in order is the best place to start.

      Good Luck!
      Gord

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s