I have been working my way through my summer “chore” project. No I am not that passionate about it however I am still able to get my head into it and find some enjoyment. The job at hand involves building a wood burning fireplace in the back yard.
By this time I already had the fireplace set in place and it was time to run the ventilation and then close the whole thing up. I’ll state it up front and admit that I have no qualifications when it comes to fireplace building. I understand there are strict codes that I need to abide by and I have followed the manufactures installations instructions. Apparently when building an outdoor fireplace one needs to ensure that there is a constant supply of fresh combustion air. Therefore the manufacturer states that intake air plumbing needs to run 6 feet up though duct work to vents located on the backside of the surround. I admit I do not fully understand why and outdoor fireplace can’t get it’s oxygen from the big hole that the wood goes in and the heat comes out however who am I to question.
So…as per manufacturers specifications I ran the required duct work for both the fresh air as well as the chimney cooling. Heat N Glo had supplied me white plastic vents to use on the façade where the ducting would plumb to. I am not a big fan of plastic, especially white plastic built into an outdoor structure that is exposed to the elements. Instead I opted to switch them out for the typical galvanized metal ones available at my local hardware store.
Since the fire place will be finished in a darker colored brick and stucco I decided to make some money back on my powder coating equipment. The galvanized vents got a sandblasting and then were powder coated matte black to allow them to withstand the weather as well as blend in with the rest of the fireplace colors.
So with the vents mounted and the ventilation ducts plumbed there was nothing left to do but sheet the structure. I admit I have done more exciting projects however for the time being this is what is consuming my “garage time”. Next I’ll move onto prepping the plywood to take on a scratch coat and then eventually stucco and brick.