I have been keeping the momentum going with the ‘65 Revive project. After I previously tore down the 2 engines and determined just how much was going to be required to bring the power plant to life I started to create a plan. So I spent some time cleaning all of the engine internals in order to be able to perform a more accurate, and final, inspection of everything. There is way too much for me to list, or talk about, with all the intricate details involved in the rebuild. Let’s face it pictures are way more fun. So the details of this post are going to be outlined in the following shots.
Second gear on the countershaft had a broken tooth however I was able to swap a good gear over from my spare gear box. All other transmission components inspect good. I am planning to press on a couple of new bearings and I am currently in the process of trying to source the bearings. I think I found a couple of winners today.
The charging system windings measured out good with no opens or shorts and the resistance specs look right. Some of the wire lead insulation suffered some cracking due to age and heat however I was able to seal things up with liquid brush on electrical tape.
The oil pump system all inspects good. Intake and outlet valves are great and the pickup screen is in decent shape. The o-ring on the oil filter cap was corroded on but with a bit of heat things came apart. Cleaned up all the surfaces on the lathe.
CLutch is in fantastic shape. I was convinced that a set of clutch frictions and plates would make its way onto my parts list however everthing measures out great. Friction thickness is perfect and all the steels have no warpage or signs of excessive wear.
The camshaft and rocker arms from the original engine were shot showing lots of wear. Luckily the spare engine cam, and valve train, inspect to be in great shape. They are a keeper!
Between the original engine and the spare engine I have 2 complete sets of valves, springs, and related hardware. The exhaust valves can be saved however all the intake valves are pounded out. New will be required.
I was fortunate enough to be able to end up with a complete set of good condition side covers. Clean up and powder coating will make them look great.
The cylinder head from the original blown up engine will need to be used as the spare engine head had broken fins. The heads combustion chamber will need some love however it should be salvagable. The barrels cleaned up great however their destiny will be unknown until it goes to the machinist.
The cases from the original and spare engines were all garbage. I was able to pick up this used case which inspects to be in great shape.
Initially I was going to get rid of the electric starter and just rely on the kick starter however I have changed my mind. Due to control logistics the kick starter may interfere with the rear sets therefore the starter is now back in the game. All the starter components inspect great, including the brushes, so it will get a clean up and reassembly.
Carbs have been sitting for awhile, lots of debris in the float bowls however the rest look to be in good shape. A couple of carb rebuild kits and a good soaking in carb clean should fix them up.
The crank out of the spare engine measures up good. Lateral play in the connecting rods measure good as well as the axial and radial play in the bearings are within spec.
Got my hands on a couple of Keyster carb kits so both carbs recieved a complete overhaul and reassembly, everything is working smooth.
Sourced out the ignition components which consist of a Dyna coil and wires, factory Honda plugs, as well as NGK resistance plug boots.
Found a set of NOS outer valve springs as well as a couple of NOS intake valves to replace the old pounded out ones.
Gaskets galore. Was able to round up all the gaskets, seals, o-rings, and Hondabond to make sure things remain leak free.
NOS triple oversized pistons and rings. Decided to replace the wrist pins and circlips while I was at it.