So I continue to make progress with my 65 Revive project and have come to the point where I need to address the finer finishing details. The engine has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and parts have been ordered. Before the reassembly can take place the external engine components need to get color on them.
The plan from the beginning was to powder coat all the visible engine components. The difficulty comes in deciding what color, and textures, to use to finish the engine with. Everyone has fairly specific taste when it comes to the details therefore I decided to follow my wants.
I know that I do not want anything “showy” or flashy. I want to maintain a raw, natural, mechanical look to the bike. I want to maintain the look of a “machine” so I decided to keep the color palette in line with an industrial and stock look. Those colors being blacks, silvers, and greys.
So once I decided what the basic colors were going to be it was time to start browsing all the powders available in the color line up I wanted. Unfortunately it is somewhat difficult to get a good feel for the colors just by viewing a jpeg on the computer. Since the color scheme was too important for me to screw it up I figured the only way I was going to figure things out is if I started to spray some samples.
So I ended up ordering 13 different powders from 3 different companies. I then got my grubby hands on some old automotive EGR valves that would serve as my sample test pieces. I chose the EGR valves because the aluminum finish was similar to that of the bike, plus they had some corners and curves that would allow me to practice coating, and they were free. The valves were fairly carboned up so after I stripped the electrical drives off them I gave them a good scrubbing to clean them up. Then they all received a blasting in the glass bead cabinet.
So over the next few days I was able to get all my samples sprayed and the actual decision making process of what colors to chose could begin. After comparing samples and getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions on what others thought I finally settled on 4 colors that would serve as the palette. HD bead blast silver, Anodized Aluminum, Wrinkle Black, and Tuscan Matte Black was the direction I was headed.
However I was still not ready to jump full into the final stage of powder coating without first shooting some more samples. I decided to take some of the old engine parts I had, that were broken and useless, and shoot them with my color samples to see how things would work out in real life.
I started by coating the cylinders and cylinder head with the Wrinkle Black and it was a good thing I did. The powder coating aspect worked out great however I now had second thoughts on using the Wrinkle Black. The comments I received from others included that it looked like a BBQ that hadn’t been cleaned for 12 years, to it looks like a truck bed liner, to it looks like a big ball of oil and grease. I agreed and therefore have decided against using the Wrinkle Black. I have since changed my mind to Tuscan Matte Black for the head and the jugs however I have no samples to shoot therefore my good parts will get sprayed in hopes that I am making the right choice.
I had better luck with the Anodized Aluminum color. I shot a broken side cover with the color and it worked out great! The color is very close to the factory looking silver used on side covers. The texture is nice and smooth and I think the color will contrast nicely with my cylinders and engine case.
So with my testing complete it will be time to move onto prepping the real parts to receive a powder session. The prep is always the most time consuming as it involves out gassing, bead blasting, washing, and masking. Hopefully my inexperience won’t shine through.