I give up. As I whined about in my last post I have been waiting for a timing chain roller, which I ordered off EBay, to show up. Well it has been 6 weeks and still nothing. I suspect it is located in the cracks of a USPS mail truck in Muscogee. So I figured that if I wanted it to show up I would need to install my used roller therefore the very next day my new one would be sure to show up. Still no luck, it never showed. Oh well…it looks like the engine is going to get the finally assembly done with the old part.
So as I posted a couple weeks back time I was able to get the lower engine case sealed up. It was time to move onto the top end and get the pistons, cylinders, and head all assembled. Everything went together as planned. The rings were gapped and installed onto the triple oversize pistons. The pistons were mounted onto the connecting rods using NOS wrist pins and clips. With fresh new gaskets installed the barrels slide on smoothly.
The freshly machined head was reassembled using new outer valve springs. The cam was slid in and the rocker arms were nestled into place. With the head dropped on top of the cylinders the cam timing was set and the valve lash was adjusted to spec. Valve cover then placed on and everything was torqued down into its final resting spot.
The fun wasn’t over yet. I finally get to start bolting on all the bling. All the polished hardware was installed and bolted into place. The carbs were mounted and the Uni-Filter foam air filters were clamped in place. The engine was finally starting to provide some visual satisfaction. The color choices that I stressed over previously seemed to be working out and the look of and industrial machine was starting to take shape.
As the parts continued to disappear off the work bench only to find a home on the engine I was coming close to having nothing left to install. This was the point where I could stand back and ponder the work with a certain amount of appreciation and satisfaction. It was a moment that was to be basked in for as long as possible. For the next step would involve liquids and with liquids come potential leaks. Anyway…no sense in ruining the moment. For now I will take pleasure in the engine reassemble stage and be happy with the product. Next I will need to focus my efforts on the technicalities of getting the power plant running. If you feel like getting lost in the mechanics and beauty of machinary then join me below in some metal admiration.