The planning of the next phase for the 65 Revive project continues to take place. When I build projects that require raw materials, like metal, I can usually obtain everything I need locally and therefore the collecting of the materials do not consume much of my time. In the case of the CB160 cafe racer build I find myself having to work 3-4 weeks in advance since many of the components need to be ordered and shipped.
Well I am getting closer to being able to cut, grind, and weld since most of my crucial “fit” components have showed up. Previously I had done my “best guess” as to the proper seat dimension required to give the “cafe racer” look but also ensure that the bike fits me and is comfortable to ride. I had put in an order from Glass From The Past for an upholstered seat, a front fender, and a rear rock guard. The parts arrived and passed initial inspection. The fibreglass finish is fairly rough and will certainly require some high build primer, and maybe even some glazing putty, to smooth things out before painting. The front fender and rock guard will also require some trimming to give them the required “look”. I had chosen to have the seat upholstered and spent the extra few dollars for the genuine leather cover. The upholstery work looks great, super clean, and nice lines. I am not qualified to critique stitching however I have no negatives to report.
Part of my planning process involved spending lots of time mentally designing the custom exhaust. The plan is to change the factory dual exhaust into a full custom 2 into 1 setup. When it comes to planning out angles I do much better if I can physically work with the components to make them fit. Unfortunately, in the case of the exhaust, I need to order all my bends therefore I did what I could to design the system using Vise-grips, angle gauges, and protractors. I did the best I could to pre-determine all my required angles and then took a deep breath and put in an order with Columbia River Mandrel Bends. I opted to go for 16 gauge stainless steel pipe. The plan is to build a race style system and leave all the TIG welds exposed to give the set up a real raw look to it. All my exhaust components showed up as ordered. It will be interesting to see if my grey matter design will turn into a reality.
Another crucial component required to finish off the exhaust is a muffler. I stumbled onto Megs Mufflers website and was immediately sucked into all their products. They offer everything in order to build your own custom mufflers and look to supply quality components. The CB160 will eventually have to go through a mandatory government inspection before I will be able to register it. Part of this inspection involves the muffler and its noise level. My intent with the bike is to make it 100% legal as well as have a finished product that won’t annoy my neighbors. I opted to go with Megs “Quiet Core” Street Series muffler. It is the quietest one they have plus it sports the “look” I want. It’s a brushed 304 Stainless steel unit. The build quality looks great and the size should match the bike great.
So as I was waiting for all my orders to show up I decided to start working on the first actual bike modification. The center kick stand is going to interfere with the way the exhaust system is going to be routed. I expelled a substantial amount of mental energy trying to come up with a solution that will allow me to maintain clean lines yet still serve a purpose. In the end I decided that the center stand has to go and get replaced with a side stand. Unfortunately the CB160 lacks the typical “down tube” that most bikes have. The down tube on my Honda is the actual engine therefore custom building a side stand and welding it to the frame was not an option. Instead I decided to incorporate the old foot peg mounts on the lower engine case casting. Since I am relocating my pegs the original cradles on the engines underside were no longer required.
So away I went with not much of a game plan. I have never custom built a side stand and therefore needed to brush up on the physics surrounding the operation. Once I knew what requirements would have to be met I started to cut, grind, and mill. Normally I would have dedicated a complete blog post to the build however my head was more into building than picture taking. So basically all you get is a glimpse of the unfinished side stand. There are still some angles to figure out and final welding to do but it all seems to be coming out fine. The stand looks as though it will tuck up out of the way very cleanly yet still be allowed to maintain full functionality.
So it looks like the new year will allow me to make some progress now that I have the necessary material to perform the tasks at hand. I am looking forward to seeing the bike begin to morph into my own creation. I welcome the challenges that will come and the hurdles that will need to be jumped.