I feel like I need to state the obvious, this kick stand project is dragging on. I can make excuses but what’s the point? The only person that is affected by the lack of progress is myself. I have collected many parts that are tempting me to switch gears to a different fabricating aspect on the bike my head is telling me to get through the kickstand and reach completion before moving on.
I had previously worked at getting all the angles figured out. I do not possess the skills to be able to create a 3D working model in a CAD program and so I needed to rely on old school methods and just had to puzzle it out. The project was at the point where the previously built components required welding and the addition of known components had to be built and the stand cleaned up.
So I started to tack components together so that I could do some preliminary test fitting. The kick stand itself went together nicely however the mechanical aspect of the over centering spring had yet to be determined. I had plenty of hours into trying to make things work. The pictures I have included in this blogs posting do not tell the whole story. There was plenty of trial and even more error.
I had initially planned on building the over centering aspect based on the millions of other kick stand designs. What was the point in trying to reinvent the wheel? Well it turns out that I positioned the pivot point of the spring in the wrong location. The kick stand would snap down into the lower position but it would not stay in the retracted position. I know why it didn’t work however trying to change it so it would function was not easy.
I was very cramped for space. I am trying to build the kick stand as cleanly, inconspicuous, and self contained as possible. I struggled with finding a solution to position my pivot points correctly. It was time for a total re-think. A new approach was needed and thinking outside of the box had to come into play. In order to make room for the over center pivot point I was going to have to abandon the conventional methods. Typically an expansion spring is used which requires the over center pivot to be placed above the kick stand pivot. In my case I decided to explore the idea of using a compression spring and therefore I would be able to place the over centering pivot below the kick stand pivot where I would have more room.
So as I played with this idea the plan finally came into clear view. It was about time! I was able to track down a short version of the typical hydraulic struts used on automotive hoods as the hood props. I found a short version that is used on Porsche Cayenne SUVs that return the park brake pedal to rest position. The length was perfect and the tension felt adequate.
So off to the lathe I went to machine up the pivot balls required for the mini strut to snap onto. After lots of fitting and mocking up I was able to determine where my pivot points had to be and proceeded to build the brackets. Knowing I may have to scrap the whole idea if it doesn’t work I tack welded everything together and proceeded to perform a full function test. Awesome! The pivot point turned out to be perfect. The kick stand both lowers and rises into its rest position on both ends of the scale. It is secure and safe.
So finally I have reached a point of satisfaction. Not only is the kick stand fully functional but I think it also looks fantastic. The strut is hidden in behind the rest of the stand and the complete assembly tucks up out of the way. Nothing is obtrusive or ugly and having the strut on the stand gives it a super cool “trick” look to it all.
So for now I am going to check this on off my list. The stand still requires powder coating however I am holding off until the exhaust is complete. There is a chance I may need to weld a support for the exhaust to the stand. The difficult part is complete I can finally move forward with more exciting aspects of the project.