I continue to get all the fabrication work done before the entire bike gets stripped down for finishing. I started at the tail end and worked my way to the front. With all the under seat and under tank work done it was time to move onto the gauge and headlight mount. As I mentioned in my previous post I decided to abandon the factory headlight and gauge in exchange for something a little more advanced and cafe designed.
I struggled coming up with a unique way to mount the gauge and new headlight. Typically the headlights are mounting using clamp on ears that are secured to the upper forks. Although I think this design looks good I wanted to build something that didn’t look like it was a universal fit. I tried to mentally blueprint the design but nothing was working so I opted to start cutting metal and would wait to see the direction it would start to take.
The end design turned out to be one piece. In order to avoid clamping to the upper fork tubes I opted to secure the entire setup with O-rings. This way it was not only secure but it was also, technically, rubber mounted. The Motogadget gauge is supposed to be shielded from excessive vibrations and I suspect the 60 watt halogen bulb filament will also benefit from not getting overly shaken.
As in the past I’ll let the pictures do the story telling. In the end I was happy with the design. Things always look better when they are finished so I suspect the bracket assembly will all come together once it is powder coated.