So after my last machining expedition I was presented with a new idea. Usually I come up with my own ideas and then execute them. It isn’t till after I have machined, or built, whatever it was I planned that someone then comes forward and says “You should…”. Where was that idea when I first started the project?
The plan for the following project came after I machined my 5 shooter smoke holder. The suggestion was that I needed to build something that could hold an entire pack of cigarettes and fit into the cup holder of a vehicle. Now I am not a smoker however…good idea I figured…should be able to make something work.
So as I pondered the details I came up with the mental blueprints for a can of smoke. The idea was to machine a billet aluminium can that would incorporate a removable lid and would hold a pack of cigarettes. Some of the details required preplanning so I sat down and AutoCad’d the important details. First off I wasn’t sure I was able to fit and entire pack of 25 smokes into the square area of a can. Turns out I can’t. The best I could design was a can to hold 22 cigarettes. Since I couldn’t fit an entire pack I reworked the design down to 18 which allowed me to build in a central screw to and allow a little more “wiggle room” for everything to fit.
I had initially designed the can to spec and had all the angles, and dimensions, figured out. When it came down to actually machining it I just winged it using an actual can to take dimensions from as I went. I will confess the can isn’t built perfectly to spec. An actual can has a diameter of 2.600” which would had required a chunk 3 inch 6061 aluminium stock to be used and machined down to almost 2.50 inches. I opted to use a piece of 2.50” stock and therefore built the can .100” smaller in diameter. In order to compensate for the slightly smaller diameter I shortened the entire can proportionally.
In the end I think it worked out well. To look at the can on it’s own it looks real, other then the billet aluminium bit. Anyway…onto the build.