Posts Tagged ‘pallets’

180-000

So I had a desire to try my hand at a recycled material project. I really don’t know why, just had an itchin’. There has been a local club that has worked at creating a strong presence in the area as a place for anyone to come and participate in building and creating things. They are a fantastic group run by great people. Finding a permanent home in order to work from has been a priority lately so I decided to build them a shop warming gift for when they eventually secure a location.

I have access to lots of pallets and 55 gallon drums so I thought I would integrate those materials into a clock for the new shop. I didn’t have a really firm plan in place other then I was prepared, mentally, to let the fine details slide as I know that dealing with these materials things would not come out perfectly. I wanted to create an old school, vintage/retro, style clock that would be something you may see hanging in an old service station covered in dust.

So the following pictures take you through the process of what eventually turned into a shop clock. It just morphed into what it is today. I think it worked out to my liking and possesses the feel and look I was going for. On with the show.

180-010

Once the pallets were all broken down and de-nailed all the good lumber sections were run through the planner to bring all pieces to the same thickness.

180-020

All the planed boards were then run through the table saw to even up all the widths.

180-030

Four sides done, 2 to go.

180-040

All the lengths now went through the chop saw. Turns out I overestimated the amount of pallets required for the project. I will have extra.

180-050

The dimensioned lumber was glued and clamped. My planer can only do 13 inch wide sections so the clock face would need to be done in 2 sections

180-060

With the sections glued they were once again sent through the planer to flatten things up.

180-070

With the 2 dimensioned sections they were now glued, clamped, and joined as one block.

180-080

Broke out the jigsaw and trimmed out a 16″ diameter section from the glues pallet blank.

180-090

The clock face was going to protrude from its metal surround therefore it needed to have a step cut into the circumference. Please note the quality looking radius guide I built for my router, you can tell I put a lot of time into it.

180-100

Instead of hand routering out a pocket on the backside to accept the clock mechanism I opted to do a cleaner, and more precise, job using the mill..

180-110

Since this is a recycling project I needed to come up with a clock surround. Opted to use the base of a 55 gallon drum. I bent a scrap section of 1″ flat bar and tacked it onto the barrel to act as a plasma torch guide.

180-120

Slicing the base off a drum using the plasma torch takes less the a minute. Using the guide a clean line can be achieved.

180-130

Trimmed off base is going to lend itself perfectly for the feel of the clock.

180-140

Using my homemade plasma torch circle guide I sliced a hole out of the middle of the barrel bottom to allow for insetting of the pallet clock face.

180-150

Here the 2 recycled materials are mated together. The look turned out to be what I had envisioned.

180-160

Here we skip over a bunch of fabrication photos in order to get to this point. I wanted a “wing” type sign look to the whole project. I plasma cut out a backing by hand using guides. Then I fabricated “feathers” out of sheet metal.

180-170

I struggled coming up with a good plan for the “numbers”. I finally settled on sprockets and machined round stock joined by round bar.

180-180

With all the fab work completed it was time to move onto the finishing stage. The clock face received stain to give it a retro type look to it.

180-190

A few coats later it achieved the look I was hoping for.

180-200

The face was going to have the local clubs logo applied to it. I built a template on the computer and then cut out a stencil using my vinyl plotter.

180-210

The logo was going to get airbrushed into the clock face. The stencil gets applied to the face, everything else was masked off, and then paint was applied using an airbrush.

180-220

Here is what the airbrushed logo looks like. The vintage feel is what I was going for.

180-230

With the wood portion complete it was time to finish the metal sections. The “feathers” needed an old school look so I decided to apply a rusting solution to them. Here they all got cleaned and sanded before receiving the treatment.

180-240

Using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar I mixed up, and applied, a solution to the feathers. it took 2 treatments over 2 days to achieve the desired results.

180-250

Rusted out feathers. Perfect.

180-260

When it came to finishing all the metal everything was hung and then shot with a clear coat in order to preserve all the natural finishes.

180-270

With some assembly complete the project was finished. Overall length is close to 4 feet. 2 mounting holes were drilled into the base at 32″ centers in hopes that if it gets mounted on stud walls 2 studs will contribute to the support.

180-280

180-290

180-300